History of Navotas City

Years ago, there was no Navotas to speak of. The entire place was part of Malabon.

According to one legend, the long and narrow delta extended unbroken from north to south along the seashore. The strip of land between the former district of Tondo, Manila and this town was eaten away by the sea until an opening was made. Water began to flow through the opening. The geographical change prompted the people to refer to the place as "nabutas" which means breached or pierced through. What began as a natural channel developed into a regular waterway, now known as the Navotas River. In later years, the place came to be known as NAVOTAS.

San Jose de Navotas was the name given to the locality after its patron saint, San Jose. On June 11, 1859, a "Superior Decreto" established a new parish and municipality under the supervision of Friar Matias Navoa. The populace was divided into two distinct groups, the naturales and the mestizos. Mariano Estrellas was the gobernadorcillo of the naturales and Mariano Israel, of the mestizos. Today, because records are incomplete, we recognize only the gobernadorcillos for the mestizos.

In 1904, the town was again merged with Malabon. Bernardo Dagala, a native of Navotas, was elected municipal president

Dec. 20, 1827 – The movement for separation of Navotas which was then
a part of Malabon (Tambobong).

Feb. 16, 1859 – The date when the barrios of San Jose, Navotas and
Bangculasi were separated from Malabon.

1859 – Cavada, the year when Navotas became an independent town.

Aug. 06, 1898 – Navotas joined the revolutionary government of
Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo

June 11, 1901 – Navotas was eventually incorporated into the newly
created province of Rizal enacted Act. No. 137.

Jan. 16, 1906 – Navotas finally became an independent municipality
with the enactment of Act. No. 1442 which separated
from Malabon.

Source: Navotas Government


History 5878110226465374518



To post articles, please contact us at pinoykodotcom@gmail.com. Thank you!

Blog Archive